SUBARU CARS VS PORSCHE




What is the fascination in a Subaru newsgroup with Porsches? This
subject keeps coming up. Who are the Porsche owners who claim to not
be interested in Subarus, and yet post here? Who cares if someone
else thinks their car is faster? It's all just talk. Everybody has
thier pet vehicle, whether Subaru or Porsche or bike or other which
they think will 'crucify' everything else. Nothing can beat all
comers in all conditions, whether bike or car. Quoting maximum
figures is a naieve argument for superiority on the road. Driving
fast on the road is like being safe on the road - it's not about
getting it right, it's about not getting it wrong. You can be taking
seconds out of someone all over the place, but miss just one
overtaking oportunity (and if you think you can spot them all safely
when you're going over 100 mph faster than the surrounding traffic,
which in vehicles like this you will be, then quit your day job) and
they will come past you a hundred miles an hour faster, and no power
will make up for that. Anyone I put this argument to just comes back
with a load of figures, results which I don't see gettting acted out
on the road.

I can afford Porsche or Subaru, but the choice didn't come down to
studying figures in Autocar. I drove both and bought the one I
preferred, regardless of which is faster. And if one day someone
takes me out while I'm giving it my all, then good to them - maybe
they have a faster car, but more likely they know what they're doing
behind the wheel. More likely still, It will be because I wasn't
driving flat out. I'm an experienced driver, but now as I have a
really fast car I'm honest enough to say that I don't have what it
takes to use that performance to the full all the time - down narrow
roads, on wet roads, in the dark. I can't judge my braking distance
to within a few metres from 140mph, or guarantee that no one in the
line of ten cars I'm overtaking full whack will pull out without
indicating, and at these times a kid in a hot hatch would 'crucify'
me, probably by taking a few unrealistic risks along the way - just as
I used to do to fast car drivers when I was their age. Though I've
never had an accident or even come close in ten years, I've been in a
few and I've seen friends die, and this is what makes me and my car
slowest of all - even if you gave me an extra 400 bhp. I'm here to
enjoy myself, not to 'crucify' or 'murder' people.

Incidentally, did anyone watch Driven (on UK network TV) a couple of
weeks back? A friend told me about it, and through a chicane of 8
bends he said they timed some new turbo Audi as faster than the 22B -
even though the Audi had much worse 1/4 mile times etc. Of course
there is a way to make the Audi faster still - write Subaru on the
front of it. (joke!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exhaust For Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2003-2004 Car

Subaru's Car Intake System Design